Summer, and spending time with your pooch in the water, can be fun, but there are a few things about which you need to be aware.
- Rivers currents are too strong if a dog gets tired.
- Golf ponds are filled with parasites.
- Salt water can be okay, but you need discourage your dog from drinking it. It can cause dehydration, diarrhea and vomiting. Be sure you have lots of fresh drinking water with you for your pal.
- When a dog is having fun, like us, they don’t always know when to stop, so be careful to limit time spent swimming.
- Don’t assume your dog is a natural swimmer. Many are not.
- Talk to your vet to find out if a Giardia vaccination is a good idea for your dog.
- After playing in any water, always rinse your dog thoroughly in clean water.
Please keep your pet safe and happy this Summer.
* * * * *
For more information on pet wellness, have us delivered directly to your inbox here.